Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The To Do List

My current To Do List is as follows:
-Get a Bike
-Get a Laundry Card
-Find sticky hooks
-Learn Danish

This list used to be much longer, but these 4 items just seem to linger on the list as I sit here, helpless in crossing them off. And its not like I haven't tried. I went to a used bike shop today with our manager, Bo, and the cheapest bike they had was 1,700 DKK..this translates to about $290 and I am not willing to pay that kind of price for a used bike--without a chain. Some of the girls on the team said they would look online and check with their friends for bikes, but my bike issues are probably more towards the bottom of their to do lists. 

My laundry card is the tool I use to operate my apartment building's washers and dryers. It charges to the monthly rent, which I don't pay, so it is the ideal way to wash my clothes. Unfortunately, this was also at the bottom of someone else's to do list, so we won't be receiving it until Saturday at least. Not to sound like a diva, but if they expected me to pack everything I needed into ONE 45 lb. bag, it seems a little unreasonable that they would also expect me to survive 2-3 weeks without needing a laundromat. A public laundromat you suggest? Well, since every building around here has their own laundry room, the nearest public laundromat is several blocks away, and most easily traveled to with...a bike. So, Dodi and I have taken to laundering the old fashioned way, washing everything in our bathroom sink, and hanging articles to dry wherever there is a hangable place. Which brings me to my next issue.

I have searched high and low for the small plastic hooks that you can stick to walls and other surfaces. I am convinced they do not exist in Denmark. I would love to hang towels, jackets, necklaces, wet laundry--but the only hooks I can find are the metal kind at IKEA that you screw into the wall. Our walls seem to be concrete and I'm not trying to make that kind of commitment to this apartment. So, as you can imagine, those hangable places I was talking about tend to be door handles, chair backs, the shower rod, fans, and light fixtures. 

I will spare you the pictures of our apartment that is currently decorated in socks and underwear, and leave you with my Danish phrase of the day: " Jeg får ret på dette"  Translation: I'll get right on that. 



2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are still smiling about all of this!!!

    You really are very lucky!

    Much Love!
    Brennon

    ReplyDelete
  2. ebay! denmark has to have an ebay... or send a list of everything you need and ill get it and ask boom to pay shipping!

    ReplyDelete