Friday, November 12, 2010

Tenerife: my home away from home

      This past week I took a leave of absence from the cold, dark city that is Copenhagen to visit my good friend Kristen in Tenerife. Tenerife is one of the Canary Islands and also one of my new favorite places. It may have been because of all the warmth and sunshine, or because of my charming American company, but I had a great time. I did the tourist thing on my first couple days, taking pictures of anything and everything (see my facebook page for touristy pictures). We had a big family dinner on Friday night that Kristen prepared; and by Kristen I mean her helpful songbird neighbor across the hall. A couple of the American guys from the basketball team joined us and it was a night of pasta, wine, and Spanish karaoke. I also practiced with Kris's team on Thursday and Friday, which was fun because its a very different style of volleyball there. I indulged in some authentic tapaz on two occasions and I now have a new found appreciation for olives. 
Saturday I spent the afternoon napping on the beach, then returned for Kristen's rival match in La Laguna. They won in 4 close sets, an ideal victory for both spectator and team. We went out to celebrate afterward, keeping in mind that we had to be up the next morning at 10:45 for a barbecue with the team and fans.
L to R: Sherri, Me, Kristen, Bridgette at the BBQ
      We were told it might be "cold" at the barbecue so I brought along a light sweater. You would not believe the temperature difference between the beach and a campsite a few miles up in the mountains of Santa Cruz. We were freezing. But, if you know Kris and I, it takes more than a little cold weather to keep us from a buffet spread. 
Most of the food was delicious, then we met fish cake. At first it seemed like a harmless cake, with icing on top--then they added shrimp. We all quickly scattered and dodged eye contact so as not to be offered this dish, but Bridgette (one of Kristen's American teammates) was suckered into a big heaping piece of it. I did not try it, but from what I'm told, it was just a loaf of shark chum with mayonnaise on top. No thank you.
     We left the barbecue in the afternoon to go take a nap and thaw out. I made several efforts to change my plane ticket so I could stay for a few more days since the girls got some bonus days off for winning on Saturday. Unfortunately, it wasn't feasible so we decided to make the best of my last day and have a night on the town. By night out I mean the entire night, causing us to actually dismiss ourselves from the party when it was time to take me to the airport at 6am. I did suffer from some serious fatigue after that flight, but overall I would say my time in Tenerife was a success. I am already plotting my next visit to the island, but until then its back to the daily grind...

No comments:

Post a Comment